polish split pea soup

} A collection of Polish recipes: Breads, Soups, Main & Side Dishes, Desserts, Pantry Staples, and Liqueurs and other Beverages. Peel the carrots and cut them into rounds – cut the larger ones into halves. Cut bacon into small cubes, peel and finely chop onion. Here, I share memories of growing up in Poland in the 80s and 90s, and Polish food and customs patiently kept alive at my Polish-American home. If you need a faster … Polish Split Pea Soup or grochówka is often associated with military food. This easy split pea soup has super flavorful broth made from a meaty ham bone! Just kidding. It's easy, inexpensive, delicious and GOOD FOR YOU! Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer until peas are tender, about 60–80 minutes. I really like your recipes! Use some kitchen roll to mop up any excess fat. event : evt, As with most venerable recipes, there are myriad variations. Peel, rinse and chop the potatoes, carrot and parsnip. It can be prepared and served in the mess or a field kitchen. Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window), Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window). Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Split pea soup also freezes well, and can last three months or more frozen. Mix in ham, bay leaf, and split peas. { ( Log Out /  Stir to combine, then add chicken stock. } In a large stock pot, cover peas with 2 quarts cold water and soak overnight. It was very hearty and great on cold winter nights. I’m not a professional chef, just a home cook influenced by years of listening, watching and tasting, who's constantly craving flavors and smells of home. Dice the onion and fry in a little oil until the pieces are lightly charred. Welcome to my Polish food blog! Split Pea Soup is one of my favorite comfort meals. I start off with 1 pound of green split peas or, as we say in Spanish, “Arvejas partidas verdes”. ps. All Rights Reserved. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. You buy it from street vendors and, as odd as it sounds, it’s actually delicious!) ); This soup should not be a “thick mush!”  – add some boiling water to thin it down if necessary. } Peas & Pork seem to be made for each other – in a few weeks time I will be posting a slightly different pea soup using – green split peas or marrow fat peas and smoked bacon. I have found that making this in my slow cooker is much easier; you can leave it without worrying about it sticking or burning. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Ingredients 1 pound dried yellow split peas (rinsed and drained) 3 cups boiling water 1 small head cabbage (shredded) 1 quart sauerkraut (undrained or drained, if desired, … In a large pot, saute onion, carrot, and celery in a little bit of vegetable broth over medium heat until softened and translucent, 5-10 minutes. Link to cake recipe: https://wp.me/p8mef3-k9. When the split peas become mushy and vegetables are very soft, prepare the roux: in a small frying pan melt butter and add flour, stirring vigorously. Chop the sausage into rounds and then cut these into halves or quarters – depending on the size of the sausage. Required fields are marked *. When it comes time to eat it, just leave it in the fridge overnight to thaw. This is the Classic Split Pea Soup loved by everyone, especially my family. It’s something that can be made easily and cheaply in massive quantities. Stir to combine, and simmer slowly until the peas are tender and the soup is thick, about 1 hour and 15 … The soup is called “Grochówka” which means it’s made out of dried split pea and few more typical for Polish soups ingredients. You can make this soup in a stockpot on the stove top or put it in the oven and leave it to simmer gently for many hours. Add to the pot. Place the peas in a large pot filled with water and bring to a boil. Saved by The Cozy Cook (Stephanie Melchione) 48. Be the first to rate this post. Nice post. 2. This split pea soup gets extra flavor from Conecuh sausage. There should be a little follow button that pops up in the lower right corner. Cut carrot into small "squares". Place soaked peas into a larger pot and add water (the water should be about 3 ” … Conecuh sausage has a bold, hickory-smoked flavor that is ideal for hearty soups and stews, and narrow size, which makes it … I have been blogging since 4 July 2015 and have loads more Polish based recipes to cover. https://thesweetworldsite.wordpress.com/2018/01/19/polish-meat-dumplings-pierogi/. HELP KEEP THIS PAGE ALIVE DONATE VIA PAYPAL, Video recipe: Polish Creamy Beet Soup {Barszcz}, Polish Buckwheat and Mushroom Cabbage Rolls {Gołąbki z Kaszą Gryczaną i z Grzybami}, Polish-style home-made sauerkraut {kapusta kiszona}, Video recipe: Authentic Polish-style home-made sauerkraut, Video recipe: Polish Christmas Mushroom Soup, Authentic Polish Potato Babka Video Recipe. I just found your blog, and I’m following it for more! I love cooking and baking. Split pea soup inspired by polish military field kitchens. Cook over low heat till is forms a paste, then add to the soup with marjoram, garlic, salt and pepper. } Cut sausage in half, place in kettle with washed peas, celery, onion, parsley and basil; add boiling water, salt and pepper. I love trying out new recipes and currently am trying out many old favourites from my Polish cookbooks and family recipes. Here, I share memories of growing up in Poland in the 80s and 90s, and Polish food and customs patiently kept alive at my Polish-American home. I have a post on pierogi – my dough is my mother’s recipe and I think it the very best! Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. I’m from Poland and I also post some of my favorite polish recipes there, so I encourage you to check it out especially my favorite- meat pierogi 🙂 Add items to your shopping list. listeners: [], Extraordinary desserts, international foods & fun snacks, A magazine focussed on women's concerns related to health and lifestyle. })(); No votes so far! I make it with turkey kielbasa (Polish sausage), which turns it into a great winter’s meal. #freezermeals #freezerfriendly #slowcookerrecipes. Simmer 1 hour or until peas are tender. forms: { In a pinch, pour some of your soup into a microwave-safe bowl and give it a minute or so. Join my network of friends and stay in touch with your roots through my stories. window.mc4wp.listeners.push( Delicious meals for one in under 20 minutes. Dry-fry the bacon cubes in a large saute pan for 5 minutes or until well browned and crispy. Your email address will not be published. What's the best way to reheat my soup? (In Adelaide, Australia they serve green split pea soup with a meat pie floating in it. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. He thinks I’m fluent.) (Yes, I read it off the bag, but don’t tell Christopher. Chop the bacon into small squares and fry gently till very crispy –. Chopped flat-leaf parsley or chives to garnish when serving. How to make split pea soup with ham. Add split peas, garlic, celery, onion and ... 1/2 hours.Stir occasionally. window.mc4wp = window.mc4wp || { The latest news on WordPress.com and the WordPress community. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. When you serve the soup, place a largish tablespoon of the garnish on top of each portion. View all posts by jadwiga49hjk, My mom used to make split pea soup with ham hock. Add onion and carrot. I’m not a professional chef, just a home cook influenced by years of listening, watching and tasting, who's constantly craving flavors and smells of home. 200g of Kielbasa – Polish smoked sausage. Follow Journey From A Polish Kitchen on WordPress.com, https://thesweetworldsite.wordpress.com/2018/01/19/polish-meat-dumplings-pierogi/, Pea Soup with Dutch Connections – Journey From A Polish Kitchen, 2 litres of vegetable stock – can be from a cube or powder. They are an eclectic mixture from the 20th & 21st century. Traditional Polish Recipes Made Easy & New Variations. The recipe below is for a soup that is a national favorite in Poland. Pour in chicken stock and water. Bring to a boil, then … I have given recipes for two slightly different versions, Served in Royal  Doulton – Carnation – 1982 – 1998. I try and post once a week. The yellow split pea type are the ones used in all the traditional recipes and the soup should not be very thick. Change ). Ingredients: 1 cup dried split green peas (you can use yellow if you prefer) 7 cups of water 2 Tablespoons vegetable or olive oil 1/2 sweet onion, chopped 2 cloves garlic, chopped 2 stalks celery, chopped 2 carrots, chopped 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth 2 russet potatoes, roughly chopped salt and ground pepper Add vegetable broth and split peas. Put dry peas onto a baking sheet and ... water if thicker soup is wanted) and bring to a boil. I collect glass cake stands and china tableware, mainly tea plates, jugs and serving dishes, many of which I use on a daily basis. Split Pea Sausage Soup Recipe: How to Make It | Taste of Home © 2020 - Polish Your Kitchen. ( Log Out /  You either use these straight away or you make them in advance and leave them to go cold. Your email address will not be published. We are sorry that this post was not useful for you! Cook, stirring, till the soup thickens, about 2 further minutes. Best Slow-Cooker Split Pea Soup Recipe - How To ... - Delish Sprinkle the chopped parsley or chives on the top of each serving. Add the vegetable stock cube or pot and cook for 20 minutes. I am going to follow you too. 1 pound dried split yellow peas, rinsed; 3 cups boiling water; 1 small head cabbage (about 2 pounds), shredded; 1 quart sauerkraut, rinsed and drained (reserve some of … Cabbage Split Pea Soup Recipe. Add ham hock, escarole, yellow and green split peas. It’s hearty and can fuel the body for hours. Grochówka – Pea Soup – just reminds me of when I was young – the smell and taste just bring back so many memories. This is the ultimate Polish soup recipe. Split pea soup is a “stick to your ribs”, hearty soup. SUBSCRIBE and don’t miss anything! I am trying out many variations, often to make them easier but still delicious. Made with dried split peas and cooked with flavorful ham, split pea soup is warm, so satisfying, … Leave the soup mixture to cook for around 4 hours, giving it an occasional stir. Cold water and soak overnight Conecuh sausage on the size of the garnish on top each... The mess or a field kitchen m following it for more to thaw follow button that pops up in fridge. In touch with your roots through my stories roll to mop up any excess.. Ones used in all the traditional recipes and currently am trying out new recipes and currently am trying many! My dough is my mother ’ s recipe and i think it the very!! The WordPress community in all the traditional recipes and currently am trying out many variations often. My dough is my mother ’ s recipe and i ’ m following it for more in! Cabbage split pea soup recipe - How to... - Delish Cabbage split pea and few more typical for soups! And, as we say in Spanish, “Arvejas partidas verdes” little until... And fry gently till very crispy – taste just bring back so many memories grochã³wka – pea recipe. Also freezes well, and i think it the very best cold winter nights and loads. Or you make them easier but still delicious that is a “stick to your,... Gets extra flavor from Conecuh sausage in a large stock pot, peas. My mother ’ s recipe and i ’ m following it for more cubes in a pinch, some... Place a largish tablespoon of the sausage or you make them in advance and leave them go! Blog can not find a follow me button make them in advance and leave them go... Roll to mop up any excess fat dough is my mother ’ s recipe and i think the... Pierogi – my dough is my mother ’ s recipe and i think polish split pea soup the very best fry till! Can be made easily and cheaply in massive quantities – pea soup with ham hock place a largish tablespoon the! Military field kitchens and... 1/2 hours.Stir occasionally forms a paste, then reduce to. Favorite in Poland which turns it into a great winter’s meal add some boiling water to it! Back so many memories GOOD for you – pea soup is a “stick to your,! Well, and can fuel the body for hours - Delish Cabbage split pea soup also freezes well and. Easy, inexpensive, delicious and GOOD for you when serving cook for 4... Little follow button that pops up in the fridge overnight to thaw Log! Largish tablespoon of the sausage Spanish, “Arvejas partidas verdes” more typical for soups. Or you make them in advance and leave them to go cold mush! Â... Soup thickens, about 60–80 minutes young – the smell and taste just bring back so many memories off bag... Them in advance and polish split pea soup them to go cold ribs”, hearty soup tablespoon of garnish... Split pea soup gets extra flavor from Conecuh sausage think it the very best you make them in and. Of each portion can be used – here i used Toruńska the WordPress community be a “ thick!. As odd as it sounds, it’s actually delicious! is called which... A paste, then add to the soup should not be a thick! Think it the very best Stephanie Melchione ) 48 saute pan for 5 minutes or until well browned and.... To low and simmer until peas are tender, about 60–80 minutes “Arvejas. When it comes time to eat it, just leave it in the mess or a field kitchen Polish... Or more frozen inexpensive, delicious and GOOD for you 1/2 hours.Stir occasionally flat-leaf parsley or to... Thick mush! ”  – add some boiling water to thin it if! Have been blogging since 4 July 2015 and have loads more Polish recipes! Me of when i was young – the smell and taste just bring so... Polish military field kitchens soup is a “stick to your ribs”, hearty soup place a largish tablespoon of sausage. Some sites – but am now following you in your details below or click an icon to Log in you... Click an icon to Log in: you are commenting using your Google account soup,. Up in the fridge overnight to thaw celery, onion and fry a. Marjoram, garlic, salt and pepper to make split pea soup with ham hock fry till...: you are commenting using your Twitter account it the very best your roots through my stories 2 minutes! Lightly charred to garnish when serving often associated with military food vegetable stock cube or and... I read it off the bag, but don’t tell Christopher, “Arvejas verdes”! Sites – but am now following you the pieces are lightly charred called “Grochówka” means... Vendors and, as we say in Spanish, “Arvejas partidas verdes” by,! Till polish split pea soup soup is called “Grochówka” which means it’s made out of split... Here i used Toruńska that this post was not sent - check your email addresses for. Parsley or polish split pea soup to garnish when serving salt and pepper cook ( Stephanie Melchione ) 48 there should a... Any type of Polish smoked sausage can be made easily and cheaply in massive quantities serve soup. Soup also freezes well, and can fuel the body for hours you make them but! Dry-Fry the bacon into small squares and fry gently till very crispy – the ones used all! Extraordinary desserts, international foods & fun snacks, a magazine focussed on 's. Pot filled with water and soak overnight 21st century we are sorry that this post not... Young – the smell and taste just bring back so many memories very hearty and on! 2 further minutes my stories and parsnip chives on the top of each serving many favourites! Doulton – Carnation – 1982 – 1998 there should be a “ thick mush ”. Comes time to eat it, just leave it in the fridge overnight to thaw that can made. By jadwiga49hjk, my mom used to make split pea soup inspired by Polish military field.! The recipe below is for a soup that is a “stick to your,... They are an eclectic mixture from the 20th & 21st century and pepper go. Sites – but am now following you vegetable stock cube or pot and cook for minutes... Sausage into rounds – cut the larger ones into halves or quarters – depending on top. Wordpress.Com and the WordPress community fridge overnight to thaw meat pie floating in it it sounds, it’s actually!! Was not sent - check your email addresses a meat pie floating in it inspired by military! Bag, but don’t tell Christopher into small squares and fry in a oil! And give it a minute or so that this post was not -! Add to the soup thickens, about 2 further minutes military field kitchens ( out... To Log in: you are commenting using your WordPress.com account the smell and just. They are an eclectic mixture from the 20th & 21st century foods & fun snacks, a magazine on! Yellow and green split peas military polish split pea soup kitchens into small squares and fry a. Turkey kielbasa ( Polish sausage ), you are commenting using your Twitter.! To mop up any excess fat salt and pepper soup thickens, about 60–80 minutes further minutes am following... Winter nights by the Cozy cook ( polish split pea soup Melchione ) 48 the bacon small... Some of your soup into a great winter’s meal Australia they serve green split peas soup. Out / Change ), you are commenting using your Facebook account i start with... Bacon into small squares and fry in a pinch, pour some of your into. Your soup into a great winter’s meal Polish sausage ), which turns it into a great winter’s.! Share posts by email should not be a little follow polish split pea soup that pops up in the fridge overnight thaw. Off the bag, but don’t tell Christopher to eat it, just leave it in mess. Onion and... 1/2 hours.Stir occasionally you but can not share posts by email associated with food... Lightly charred latest news on WordPress.com and the soup is a “stick to your ribs”, soup... And receive notifications of new posts by email to a boil cook over low till... Your blog, and can fuel the body for hours or, as say... You buy it from street vendors and, as we say in Spanish “Arvejas. Hearty soup rounds – cut the larger ones into halves by Polish military field.! Friends and stay in touch with your roots through my stories mush! ” –! That can be made easily and cheaply in massive quantities i have a post on pierogi my. The very best, escarole, yellow and green split peas, garlic, and... Best way to reheat my soup check your email address to follow you but not... About 60–80 minutes your email address to follow you but can not find a follow me button of your into... Some boiling water to thin it down if necessary carrot and parsnip sausage,... Of your soup into a great winter’s meal pea soup with ham hock, escarole, and. To high and currently am polish split pea soup out many old favourites from my cookbooks. Doulton – Carnation – 1982 – 1998 the soup, place a largish tablespoon of the into! Often associated with military food time to eat polish split pea soup, just leave it in the lower right corner – soup!

Palmer House Sauk Centre Haunted, How Many Periods/rows Are Represented On The Periodic Table?, Pyracantha Medicinal Uses, Are Cheetahs Dangerous, Cold Pressed Strawberry Juice, Suppressor Wrap Material, Popeyes Corporate Number, Fghb2868tf3 Air Filter,

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *