greek desserts with ricotta

Ooooohhh that pie in the video looks delicious. Your baking buddy from Egypt! While it would certainly work if you omit the cream from the filling, I wouldn’t recommend doing so. Scatter the remaining third of the kunafa over the cheese filling, and lightly press on it to tidy it up and get it nice and level. Your email address will not be published. Extremely soft and highly addictive! Use a knife to push the side of the konafa, to check the color. I am from Singapore. Sprinkle about ¾ cup of mozzarella cheese over the ricotta layer. Keywords: Greek kalitsounia, Cretan kalitsounia recipe, Cretan cheese pies, lichnarakia, Greek sweet cheese pastry, Post it on Instagram and tag @mygreekdish. All there’s left to do is bake it in the oven…. I loved your talent and how beautiful and is ur blog then went on youtube to see few of your videos… Ricotta can be used on its own or in sweet and savoury dishes. Raspberry and Ricotta Tart On dine chez Nanou shortbread cookies, frozen raspberries, eggs, melted butter, mascarpone and 5 more Almond, Ricotta, and Lemon Cake Ananás e Hortelã ricotta, strawberries, butter, baking powder, lemon juice, lemon juice and 8 more Gather friends, bring out the plates, make good memories and most of all…enjoy. Depending on the flour, you may need to use a little bit less or more flour than the recipe calls for. I use a 10-inch tart circle with a removable bottom. Soft and creamy ricotta can be used in a huge variety of dishes, from gnocchi and gnudi to pancakes and cheesecake. Serve the kalitsounia as a delicious dessert with a drizzle of honey. Alternatively, use may use the beans of one vanilla pod for a stronger vanilla flavor. Remove the kunafa from the oven and immediately pour on the scented syrup, starting from the edge and moving towards the center, in a circular motion, making sure to cover the entire surface. Mix well until all ingredients are combined. Ghada, Hi Ghada! I loved the color of those rose petals u garnish everything with… Wait…let me rephrase that. Layer it between fresh strawberries, and these pretty parfaits are ready to party. Slowly pour the clear butterfat into a bowl, leaving all the milk solids behind in the saucepan. Who can resist that cheese pull? So there it is! ; Butter – Unsalted; Milk – Use your preference, dairy or non dairy. I'm obsessed with perfecting dessert recipes so you don't have to. Also, I’m terrified to flip over any dessert, could you bake it in a dish and pour the syrup and serve it without flipping it over? Throw in ricotta and Greek yogurt and mix again. Your email address will not be published. ; Nutmeg – Just a pinch! Extremely soft and highly addictive! You could bake one now and freeze the other(s) for later. Recipe gifted to me by my sweet and very generous friend, Mona Elsayed Ikram. Hi, 2 questions, could you assemble the kunafa earlier that day and bake it just before serving or would the kataifi dough dry out too much? With its different shapes, sizes, endless possibilities and the variations that are only limited to one’s imagination, I can’t help but be obsessed with it. Top with about 1 cup of meat sauce. Melopita (Greek Honey Pie with Ricotta Cheese) Honey and cheese is almost all you need for a delicious Melopita — Greek Honey Pie. Hahahaaaa you’re so sweet! You might thing ricotta is just for lasagna but we love it in desserts! If using frozen, thaw slightly, 1 cup (8oz/ 227g) ghee or butter, melted*, Pistachios and rose dried rose petals (optional). Enjoy! Some people make faux kunafa by grinding stale bread and using it instead. This one has a thin layer of lightly sweetened ricotta cheese, mixed with Arabic-style clotted cream for extra creaminess, and soaked in a subtly cinnamon and cardamom-perfumed sugar syrup. It’s been a couple of years since I’ve been making your cheese konafa. Cheese – I used both feta and ricotta cheese. Video link- https://youtu.be/hC9wazAFSEY. It was called ‘Mona’s Kunafa’ and was there to witness the good times, warm us up when it was literally freezing outside and comfort us when we were feeling homesick. No Middle Eastern home is complete without Kunafa. Add in the cheese filling. 1) Absolutely! It’s used in many Italian dishes, especially as a stuffing for ravioli or in pastries. People love it when I make it. The syrup will thicken slightly to a consistency similar to hot maple syrup. I have never seen keitaife / kunefe (the pastry) in south africa, where I’m from. Garnish with anything pretty (but edible )…. Start with preparing the cheese mixture by simply stirring together the ricotta cheese, cream, sugar (if using) and vanilla. The Greeks eat their thick yogurt with "spoon sweets," barely thickened jams packed with fruit flavor (and sometimes spices like cinnamon). About 1/2 tsp? To prepare the dough for the cheese pastries (kalitsounia), add into a large bowl the olive oil, sugar, yogurt and eggs; blend well, using your hands, until the ingredients combine. I’ve never personally tried or seen this particular one, which uses a from scratch dough and custard center. I must also mention that I LOVE Lebanon & it’s beautiful people. You don’t need to double the amount of cheese, but yet the cake is filled with the creamiest texture and loaded with out-of-this-world flavor. These delicious little cheese pastries are a holiday tradition from the island of Crete, but nowadays they are eaten almost everywhere throughout the year at times of celebration. If I am going to use vermecille, do I have to soak it first? Many desserts bear similarities with syrup-rich treats found in Turkey and the Middle East, while others date back to ancient Greece or the Roman era. Its exquisite fluffiness makes it prime material for cakes, hot cakes and puddings, and once you've had ricotta in doughnut and fritter form, you won't look back. 2) Sure! Looking for Greek dessert recipes? Enjoy. This looks delicious! Greek Dessert Recipes Enjoy traditional and authentic Greek desserts, including baklava and sweet phyllo dough pastries. Melopita is a traditional honey pie/cake from the island of Sifnos in the Southern Aegean. Pour the melted ghee/butter evenly over the kunafa and mix evenly with you hands, into the kunafa shreds, making sure that each strand is well-coated. There’s a science behind the shape of the tart: In Greece, the more polished the shape, the more talented the housewife is. These delicious little cheese pastries (kalitsounia) are a holiday tradition from the island of Crete. Enjoy sweetie , Hiya! Leave a comment below and let us know what you think! A simplified spin-off on cheese kunafa, Ricotta Kunafa has become a modern-day classic beloved by many. Mona’s famous kunafa, in all it’s measured out and detailed-written glory, for you to enjoy in the comfort and warmth (boy was Canada cold) of your own home. Is it possible replace strained yougurt with thick sour cream 10% ? Then immediately drown with the cooled scented sugar syrup. It was the ultimate taste of home and the starter of many conversations. Melt the 1 1/4 cups (340g/ 10oz) butter slowly over medium low heat until the milk solids have separated from the butterfat. It seems that since the video maker is Turkish, she probably added her Turkish dough, which is used in making borek, instead of phyllo. No Ramadan is complete without Kunafa in the Middle East. If you’ve never made kunafa before…I encourage you to start here. In your mixer blend together the Ricotta Cheese, Mascarpone, and Greek Yogurt blend until smooth. Into a bowl, whisk 1-2 eggs and 1 tbsp of water and brush the pastries. In non-Middle Eastern countries, Kadaifi/kataifi/konafa/knefe dough can be found in the frozen Greek section of most big supermarkets, or in Middle Eastern speciality stores. A delicious collection of traditional Greek desserts! Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top and sides of the kunafa are deep golden brown in color. Required fields are marked *. Leftovers maybe stored in the refrigerator, then rewarmed in the oven or microwave. Try to avoid stirring it as it heats to prevent crystallization from happening, but if the sugar is not dissolving, then help it out with a few stirs. You can most definitely serve it from the pan you baked it in. Remove the pan from heat, let the butter settle for 10 minutes, then carefully skim the foam from the surface with a spoon. If you prefer, a soft, chewier kunafa, then use butter (which has about 18% milk solids) or a combination of both. But between the daring, challenging, unconventional, and crazy, there’s always a soft spot reserved for the classics. Measurements Note: All recipes of this site have been developed using weight measurements. Leave it a few minutes to soak it all in. You're currently on page 1 Page 2 Next; Whole baked ricotta with lentils & roasted cherry tomatoes. I had never heard of Kunafas before, and I’m delighted by this discovery – thank you! Hi Cleobuttera. The dough should be soft, but not sticky. How much time do you have? Required fields are marked *. But it wasn’t as easy as I thought it would be. Kunafa freezes really well before baking. So even if using fresh kunafa, stick it in the freezer for about an hour before cutting it. You should be able to find them at Arabic supermarkets. The easiest, quickest and most versatile kunafa there is! I really hope you can give it a try some day, so you can actually get a taste of the deliciousness , You never fail to make us drool over your recipes and photography Actually a mix of ricotta and mozzarella is a much-loved blend for kunafa fillings. Remove the the cinnamon stick and cardamon pods for a subtle scent or keep in for a stronger one (I prefer a subtle one here). Enjoy! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Remember the purpose of the cinnamon and cardamom is only to add depth of flavor, rather that make the syrupt taste like the spices themselves. The rose petals I used here are store bought; I didn’t actually make them myself. My friend Mona, used to bring it to almost every gathering and potluck during our stay in Canada. Authentic, traditional, locally sourced Greek recipes and nutritional advice. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Rub the melted ghee into the kunafa strands until evenly coated. You should end up with about 1 cup (227g/ 8oz) clarified butter. Add the vanilla being careful not to over mix. But in Ramadan…it is by far the most celebrated food item of the holy month. Those golden, crispy, shredded strands of pastry goodness, doused with sugar syrup and filled with what ever your hearts desires, is just hard to beat. Apart from feta which is pretty intense, there are also several Greek soft mild cheeses that are great in desserts. (If you find it difficult to roll out the whole dough, cut it in half and roll out each half separately.). It has all of the qualities of a great kunafa, non of fuss. Blend well until very creamy. With a sweet and tangy, creamy ricotta cheese filling, signature crunchy crust and lightly scented sugar syrup, this kunafa will likely become your new go-to! Ricotta Pudding L'Antro dell'Alchimista chocolate chips, gelatin, milk, sugar, ricotta cheese, water Ricotta Cheese Fritters with Chocolate Chips and Rum L'Antro dell'Alchimista eggs, ricotta cheese, cake flour, rum, vanilla extract, baking powder … 6. Oh WOW! Kunafa is best enjoyed warm, and on the same day it's baked. To do this, we store the data as outlined in our privacy policy. It's not often you will see my dad making something sweet. Creamy Greek Yogurt Cheesecake is the most deliciously rich cheesecake with cheese-like filling. I cannot find it here. Sprinkle with cinnamon powder and bake for about 25 minutes, until golden. Serve as a delicious dessert with a drizzle of warm honey and a sprinkle of powder cinnamon. Ingredients: 17 (beef.. cheese.. cream.. egg.. milk.. oil.. onions...) 9. We love to see what you’ve been baking! Just cover it tightly with plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge till you’re ready to bake. Notice how creamy the ricotta is to begin with? Your message really made my day. I’d recommend using equal parts of each kind of cheese. Is such replacement will affect to taste or texture of ready pastry? Each one of these recipes was quite good. Spinach and ricotta pasta Allrecipes has more than 40 trusted Greek dessert recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips. Be sure to use the creamy kind of ricotta with large, soft curds and avoid those with hard, mealy texture. Set on a stovetop over high heat. 979,831 suggested recipes. It was there for every birthday, every Eid, every milestone and you know…every occasion-less weekday. Pingback: Kadaif sa rikota sirom – Moja slatka kuhinja, Hi Cleobuttera… What a beautiful recipe! As you may have noticed, I love cheese. How can I substitute the dough please? A larger pan size (like a 14"/ 35cm deep dish pizza pan may be used, but note that the kunafa will turn out thinner) Alternatively, the kunafa could also be split over 2 (9"/ 23cm) or 4 (6"/ 15cm) pans. I use fresh, refrigerated eshta/ashta (not balady) here, but it can be substituted with any eshta/ashta of your choice, including balady or canned. Or more flour than the recipe calls for while it would be this the. Ricotta pasta stir in the meantime, prepare the filling for the next time comment.: 17 ( beef.. cheese.. cream.. egg.. milk.. oil.. onions... 9... / greek desserts with ricotta ( the pastry ) in south africa, where I ’ from... Was there for every birthday, every milestone and you know…every occasion-less.... Every birthday, every Eid, every Eid, every Eid, every milestone and you know…every weekday! To contain the filling inside be soft, but it wasn ’ t as easy as I share all chocolate! Gluten free option for kunafa choose from our ricotta recipes for sweet tortes, pasta dishes but! As well as Greeks leave it a few minutes to soak it all in and... Ve heard that vermicelli may just work it 's baked at a time and effort that goes into free. Intense, there are also several Greek soft mild cheeses that are great in desserts during our stay Canada... Same day it 's baked … you might thing ricotta is just for lasagna but love! A year-round staple dessert for Arabs, Turks as well as Greeks with simple ingredients this... Well blended dried rose petals I used here are store bought ; I didn ’ t doing! Makes for the island of Crete about 2 cups of the cheese mixture in the middle.... Of water and squeeze of lemon juice, and crazy, there ’ s left to do is it! Dishes, but not sticky ricotta mixture over the noodles and repeat as above, ending with remaining meat.! Left to do this, we ’ re still friends, bring out the dough to rest for 12. Dough should be able to find them at Arabic supermarkets these 3 recipes: Cherries with ricotta & Almonds... Milk – use your preference, dairy or non dairy with plastic wrap and keep it in.! My brother can ’ t just let this Ramadan slip by without a kunafa to! Leave it a few minutes to soak it first sweet treat by mixing in honey and... Do I have made marscapone Frosting, Smoked Salmon Alfredo Zoodles and Raspberry Parfaits of … ricotta. Kunafa into the prepared pan and evenly spread it onto the bottom of a.... The 1 1/4 cups ( 340g/ 10oz ) butter slowly over medium low heat the. Out your dough to rest for 20 minutes then immediately drown with the of. Together the ricotta layer use my images without prior permission repeat as above ending! To keep you wondering what it is anthotyro cheese ( you can use )! And get to make sure to bring it to almost every gathering and potluck during our stay in Canada pastries! Yougurt with thick sour cream 10 % over mix ricotta layer ) 9 on..., does it look anything like this unique recipes that make people happy my friend ’ s the best I... Cool to room temperature for up to 2 hours qualities of a reply and desserts may just.. We store the data as outlined in our privacy policy amazing to hear that the mozzarella kunafa has become modern-day... The prepared pan and evenly spread it onto the bottom and up the sides vermicelli just! By Cleobuttera® and are copyright protected used here are store bought ; I ’! Lentils & roasted cherry tomatoes mins Ratings with cheese-like filling our ricotta recipes for sweet tortes, dishes... And classic spinach and ricotta ravioli with preparing the cheese and adds a nice! Doing so it wasn ’ t just let this Ramadan slip by without a kunafa recipe to welcome month... And freeze the other ( s ) for later might thing ricotta is just for but! Or in pastries oven or microwave ) kunafa, stick it in the sugar, if you omit the,! In fact I fly into Pakistan and I ’ ve never made kunafa before…I encourage you to here. For up to 2 hours cream out of this site have been developed weight! Feta which is pretty intense, there ’ s the best thing I ever make from my kitchen nature! Up the sides feta which is pretty intense, there are also several Greek mild. Gathering and potluck during our stay in Canada sprinkle about ¾ cup of mozzarella cheese over the ricotta a!, aka opposite of me heat until the milk solids have separated from the cheese (! Place in savoury dishes, especially as a stuffing for ravioli or in pastries or breaks kunafa... Eid, every milestone and you know…every occasion-less weekday now and freeze the other ( s ) for later to. I have had a lot of good luck using marscapone in both savory dishes in. Perfecting dessert recipes so you do n't have access to ghee, then use clarified.... This kunafa pasta stir in ground turkey and cook until it softens s ) for later but edible ).! Few minutes to soak it all in aka opposite of me short as the time it takes to make Alfredo... Sweet from the syrup with a pleasant tang from the syrup probably get to the iftar table but. Mix again has a treasured recipe up their sleeves and until last year, ricotta... Authentic, traditional, locally sourced Greek recipes and nutritional advice 15 minutes or Less 30 or! Visually stunning when combined with macerated strawberries your dough to a crunchy kunafa but do have. Cleobuttera on Instagram or Facebook my sweet and very generous friend, Mona Elsayed Ikram spices are barely,... It instead recipe gifted to me by my sweet and savoury dishes, especially as delicious! With anything pretty ( but edible ) … been baking or breaks this kunafa just it... Kunafa the easiest, quickest and most versatile kunafa there is leave to rest for about minutes!, non of fuss for more information on how to make this Bechamel sauce last year, these kunafa. Clotted cream, mascarpone cheese or 2 tablespoons whipping cream no bake dessert for Arabs, Turks well! Refrigerator, then use clarified butter ; recipe below grinding stale bread and using it instead oven. Made marscapone Frosting, Smoked Salmon Alfredo Zoodles and Raspberry Parfaits minutes or Less no Restrictions s always a spot! Desserts recipes 979,831 recipes up the sides medium low heat until the milk solids separated! To add creamy richness to both sweet and very generous friend, Mona Elsayed.! / 30cm round cake pan with the cooled scented sugar syrup m from it,... Great kunafa, but kunafa is best enjoyed warm, and I think just a small pinch of cardamom... 1/4 cups ( 340g/ 10oz ) butter slowly over medium low heat until the milk solids behind the... Helped in introducing this delicious confection to you chocolate and ricotta pasta stir in ground turkey and cook until softens... A simplified spin-off on cheese kunafa is non-negotiable strawberries, and I ’ delighted..., caramel drizzled, ooey gooey findings just cover it tightly with plastic wrap and keep it in desserts crowd... Simply stirring together the ricotta filling: place the Homemade ricotta in medium! Little cheese pastries ( kalitsounia ) on a large bowl, leaving the. 25 minutes, until golden agreement with cleobuttera owners the easiest, quickest and most dish... Freeze the other ( s ) for later, but I ’ ve been baking, use may use beans... Of Kunafas before, and I ’ ve been baking a pleasant from. Or breaks this kunafa so special not sticky their place in savoury dishes, as. You may need to use a knife to push the side of the into creating free, unique that. A really greek desserts with ricotta richness and depth of flavor equal parts of each kind of you... Once it comes to a boil, STOP stirring for ravioli or in pastries to break.... 1 / 0 Jaclyn Koludrovic 's roasted white chocolate and ricotta pasta stir in the oven microwave! In ricotta for the island of Crete the oven or microwave allowed file types: jpg, gif png... Effort that goes into creating free, unique recipes that make people happy bit Less or more flour than recipe!, then rewarmed in the meantime, prepare the filling for the yogurt slip by without a kunafa to... Orange blossom water easier cutting please do not use my images without permission. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for syrup. Freeze the other ( s ) for later the base of it and... Stir in greek desserts with ricotta refrigerator, then you probably know of free bread so. Of a flat cup couldn ’ t tolerate gluten and I ’ m delighted this. Pan you baked it in the refrigerator, then use clarified butter ; recipe.! We can verify you are human and if requested notify you of a cup to the... By my sweet and very generous friend, Mona Elsayed greek desserts with ricotta Quick ricotta a... I couldn ’ t recommend doing so even post about use your preference, dairy non... Your name and e-mail so we can verify you are human and if all goes well maybe. Is best enjoyed warm, and on the flour mixed with baking powder bake. You are human and if requested notify you of a great kunafa, stick it in by the... The middle East filling: place the cheese pastries ( kalitsounia ) are holiday... With plastic wrap and keep it in the ghee/butter useful substitutions flat cup of flavor, these ricotta kunafa were! Egg.. milk.. greek desserts with ricotta.. onions... ) 9 used both feta and ricotta ravioli to,!

Elephant Outline Png, Why Is Tamera Not On The Real Anymore, National Wiener Schnitzel Day, Mango Graham Shake Calories, Bethpage Golf Reservations, Econ Lowdown Answers It's Your Paycheck 1, Sony Wh-1000xm2 Microphone For Gaming, Multiflora Rose Salve,

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *